Every fall I
try to get together with my daughters that are around and do some type of
craft. My husband doesn't think I need
to add to my holiday decorations so I was on the hunt for a craft or
sewing item that was not a holiday craft.
In August I found a couple of blogs that showed how to make a maxi
skirt. The maxi skirts are popular and the girls were all excited to make this
our craft. The web site we bought the fabric from was Girl Charlee. We were able to find some really cute and very affordable knit fabrics from here.
Even though
we purchased our fabric in August we didn't get a chance to sew until late September. I spent a Saturday with my girls sewing and
another Saturday with a co-worker who wanted to learn to sew. Everyone wanted at least two skirts and of
course all the grand-daughters needed a skirt so there was a lot of fabric
purchased and a lot of skirts sewn. I
personally made at least 10 skirts (only two of those were mine).
I purchased
a pattern that had a couple different skirt styles with multiple sizes and I
also found some good blogs that showed how to make a skirt with stripes that
are at opposing angles. The best blog
for the skirts was i candy homemade. This blog had a pattern to download and print off. I did have to adjust the pattern for some of
us that were a little bigger. The
pattern said it was a medium but I think it was on the small size just based on
the fit for my small daughters.
The skirts
were quick and simple to make. I used my
serger to sew them all together and I serged the edge on the hem then rolled it
and topstitched it. My daughter JaNae suggested using a twin needle for the
hem. I used this on my last couple of skirts
and it really finishes it well and makes it look just like a professional hem. Thanks JaNae, I taught you everything you know
about sewing and now you are teaching me a thing or two.
The most important thing that I learned with
this project was to measure each person
carefully and adjust the pattern to fit.
Even though it is knit one size does not fit all. The knit is very clingy and you really don’t
want it to show every bump. The second
thing is if you are doing the opposing stripes then more fabric is needed than
a straight skirt. For an adult I orderd
2 yards for the opposing stripe skirts.
I have lots of tiny little granddaughters so I ordered 2 yards for every
adult skirt and I was able to make some skirts for the little tiny grandkids to
match the moms. It was fun and another
successful girls day. 
No comments:
Post a Comment