I'm LaVonne Jackson. To family and friends I am called Vonne (with a long E sound at the end). I have sewn for almost as long as I can remember. The start of my journey into sewing was not a positive one but I stuck with it and eventually I fell in love with it. Sharing my passion for sewing with everyone I know is what I really love to do.
Some of my sewing began as means of saving money so I made many of my clothes or my children’s clothes. From there I began branching out and sewing home décor, drapes, pillows, and bedding. There is probably not a craft, needlecraft, or sewing art that I haven’t tried at least once.
I consider myself a designer. From the time I was very little I remember getting out gridded draft paper and drawing house plans. All of this came natural since my father, who was not a builder by trade, built a couple of his own homes and was very skilled with woodwork.
I married and raised a family first, and through those years I designed and created clothes for my children. I sewed the window treatments and other decorations for my home as well as many of my friends homes. I have even upholstered furniture! Some of my creations were not the most beautiful but I learned from every project and through plowing forward I got better and better.
I have always loved learning and most of my skills were self-taught through books or just experimenting, but I always knew that I would go back to school to get a college education. When my kids were all finally in school I started back to college. We had built a couple of homes at that point and I was a bit frustrated with a designer who kept trying to talk me out of things I wanted in a home. This frustration was actually what led me to the degree I have in architectural drafting. Coupled with the drafting I also took many classes in art and interior design.
I was self-employed as a designer and designed house plans and interior elevations for builders. Through some down falls in the economy my husband was laid off, and when the economy struggles the housing market also falls so we struggled to make ends meet. I made a decision to head back to college and get another degree in the medical field, which is another area I have always been interested in so I got a bachelor degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. As much as I like my career, when days are sad from working with patients that have received bad news, the sewing and crafting help to lift my spirit and take my mind off the sad things of the world.
My greatest joy has been sharing my love of crafting and sewing with my children. I have 4 girls and one boy and even my son was taught to cross-stitch and make plastic canvas crafts. My hope is to continue to share this love of sewing and creating with all those who wish to follow.
Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy it!
Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy it!
Hi, Lavonne, I purchased one of your quilt patterns and am struggling with the directions. I believe there are mistakes. Please respond . I have left several messages and have yet to hear from you. I really want to talk to you. Please call 660.988.0014 Martha Perkins
ReplyDelete